hOmE         aBoUt mE         mY wOrKs         fAceBoOk         cOnTaCt mE

Monday, May 24, 2010

$124 Million

Thats how much the paintings stolen from Paris's Musee d'Art Moderne are worth! This is the largest art heist I have heard of in my lifetime and it still seems surreal. Last Thursday, the staff discovered that the paintings were missing just before opening the museum...really! They have state-of-the-art alarm systems in place and three night wardens and someone just walks in there, selects what they want to take and walks away?!!!? Gives pause to a lot of beliefs doesn't it?

Paintings stolen:

Dove with Green Peas - Pablo Picasso /1911-12
Woman with a Fan, Lunia Czechowska - Amedeo Modigliani/1919
Olive Tree near Estaque - Georges Braque/1906
Pastoral - Henri Matisee/1905
Still Life with Candlestick - Fernand Leger/1922

Moment of silence....for the museum not the paintings. I have a feeling these paintings will be taken very good care of wherever they are but the Musee d'Art Moderne will need serious cleansing to get its credibility back.

2 comments:

  1. I read about that in the paper, it is horrible. I hope that they can find them again, but you are right, for their irreplacable values, I'm sure they'll be taken care of.

    I regards to the alarm system, I read somewhere that it was down for a couple months and that they were waiting on a part. Repair guy, you have just became the main suspect (sorry if you truly are not involved). They came in through a window off the sidewalk.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Angie! I agree that the repair man is definitely a sound lead:) But I seriously doubt anyone could have pulled it off without some inside help no?

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe Thru Email