hOmE         aBoUt mE         mY wOrKs         fAceBoOk         cOnTaCt mE

Saturday, May 1, 2010

My First Saturday

You know how we walk through art festivals and fairs and collect artists' cards like a ritual but dont really give it a second look later? Not so here. There is something to be said about the exposure an artist gets in local art markets. One such is the First Saturday Arts Market that happens in the Heights on the first saturday of every month in Houston.
Today was my first saturday there. I researched the artists online before but nothing prepared me for the openness of some of the people there. I met seasoned artists and new ones and all of them appealed to my sensibilities.

Jen of Color Fly Studio has a refreshing take on good old cutting and pasting. Remember collage art? Well, this is a rather beautiful genre of collage. And her blog design rocks!

And then there is Kiki Neumann of Mother's Old Fencepost who, as it happens is one of the most accomplished artists that I had the opportunity to meet. Besides being an environmentally friendly artist, she has also designed 6 artists studios in Houston!! Of course, I bought her work! She collects pieces of used wood and refurbishes them into amazing works of practical art!
I am pleasantly surprised that my personal style is not invasive enough to affect positive appreciation of other styles and works of art. It seems like everyday there are artists trying to make a unique segway and David is one such artist. He is showing his work at the Wind Water Gallery( the location of the market is in the parking lot of Wind Water). This is his first time ever showing his work, I think the first of many, many showings.
 Today I peel another layer and strive towards reaching out to the various markets that bring out the hopefuls, the been-heres and Mexican Coffee....strong and decadent.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out about me on your blog. I really enjoyed meeting you and your sweet family! I hope to see you again soon and maybe you will be an artist at the market someday.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe Thru Email