hOmE         aBoUt mE         mY wOrKs         fAceBoOk         cOnTaCt mE

Sunday, May 16, 2010

????

Should artists, especially the up and coming ones, sell their skills for a lower price until such time when they become known? I was approached by a design house to make commercial art for them. I have no problem doing that. I dont have any grand ideas of my art selling to the richest russian patron for 70 times its cost price(wink, wink Mr.Rothko). But, it seems like there is a certain kind of art that is in demand and that is what the house expects me to churn out. Mind you, I am not opposed to making repetitive art but is my original work in danger of getting picked up by someone who has no more inclination than to match it with their sofa?
Maybe so. I also have a sunny side to me that looks at this as an opportunity and will make use of it to not only produce what is in demand but add my unique signature to the work. This is a first for me and hence the discussion.
trala!

4 comments:

  1. I've always been of the opinion that new or not, your work should never be below appropriate market value. What that means is relative to the quality of comparable work in your local area. It seems once people do things too cheaply (i.e. free or next to nothing) they pigeonhole themselves forever as a low cost provider.

    Churning out "repetitive" work may not be bad for the short term. After all, you can still build your own client base for your original work, you'll make more contacts, and gain more exposure. Just make sure that you are being adequately compensated for this work. I've known plenty of photographers who shoot "stock" images because it helps pay the bills and gets them income in between the times when they're doing what they love. There's no harm in it - again as long as you're being paid appropriately for your efforts.

    My $.02 rant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Chris.But I visited a gallery today and they sell works by this one painter who supplies to all their 5 stores. But heres the math - he makes on an average 20 paintings for them. now they want 25 nos. of each painting. so he makes around 500 for them a month!!!technically they are all originals. and believe me, only when u move that kind of volume its worth to sell down but othewise like u said, its highly debatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just out of morbid curiosity, what does each of his paintings sell for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. a 2'X2' will sell for $159, a 5'X4' will sell for $350 approx. but this is the gallery price so you know his price to the gallery is only $75-150. there are some that are priced at 500-750 but those are very far and few.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe Thru Email